Since starting this blog (I still hate that word) a few years ago, you probably noticed a hashtag followed by “CirdecSongs” at the end of each piece. I guess I was dreaming of writing something that would ultimately go viral, and I wanted people to have something to refer to and follow. So far, I’ve had some moderately successful posts, but I’m a long way from achieving that dream.
The hashtag has essentially been a moniker since its inception. I had no other plans for it. Until now.
Now that I’m firmly in semi-retirement, I’ve realized I can do more with that hashtag. The thought came to me a couple of weeks ago as I started mapping out my musical activity for 2022. As Robert Fripp might say, the idea appeared to me in a flash. I could almost hear the “click” in my head. All of a sudden, I had an objective:
Convert CirdecSongs from a moniker to a brand.
And just like that, the floodgates opened.
I had a TON of ideas about what I could do to make this a reality. But before I could get into that, I needed to take a beat. I asked myself a question: what is CirdecSongs?
Once again, I found myself inspired by Robert Fripp and his label/brand, Discipline Global Mobile (DGM). In a virtual torrent, a mission statement entered my mind. Not only that, but what I’ve come to call a “Declaration of Intent.” It goes like this:
A Brand, A Celebration, A Mission
WHAT IS CIRDECSONGS?
At its core, CirdecSongs is a vessel geared toward the reception, absorption, contemplation, and sharing of music, primarily created by others. This will take place on multiple levels. Regardless of method, the ultimate goal is to generate and maintain the love of music, primarily from off the beaten path.
- IT IS APPRECIATIVE AND RECEPTIVE. CirdecSongs does not concern itself with where the music comes from. Music is a gift, and it will be received with gratitude and enthusiasm. Not everything will stick, but as much as humanly possible will be considered.
- IT IS PASSIONATE. CirdecSongs is in music for the love of the art. Any benefits that come as a result of this enthusiasm will be considered incidental, as opposed to being the driving force.
- IT IS POSITIVE. CirdecSongs is not concerned with taking down artists whose music does not prove appealing, unless specifically assigned to do so. Emphasis will be placed on what makes an artist or album enjoyable, with this information being conveyed to the audience. Negative or unpleasant musical experiences will simply be pushed aside without further consideration.
- IT IS INDEPENDENT AND INDIVIDUAL, BUT GENEROUS. CirdecSongs is and will remain a one-man operation, but with the intent of sharing these individual discoveries with any- and everyone who might find them interesting. I am merely a vessel. Musical secrets will be uncovered, but they will always be shared.
- IT IS ALL-INCLUSIVE. CirdecSongs is not interested in or concerned with musical genres. Music is MUSIC, and it does not need to be labeled in order to be appreciated. Genre serves as point of reference. No more, no less.
- IT IS MULTI-DIMENSIONAL. CirdecSongs will exist on multiple media planes. Musical enthusiasm can and will be spread by way of essay, article, interview, video, audio (duh!), or any other way that makes it possible for people to be informed. Methods of distribution will be traditional and non-traditional, but always informative.
- IT IS PRESENT. CirdecSongs will not be bogged down by era or genre. It will endeavor to present to the most recent musical efforts by the most recent artists, with appropriate time and effort given to established, “classic” artists. Musical “golden ages” will be recognized and appreciated but will not be treated as the be-all, end-all of music.
- IT IS BEHOLDEN TO NO ONE. CirdecSongs will avoid favoritism and avoid putting emphasis on any one genre, artist, or record label. Musical exploration is based in what is made available for consideration.
- IT IS NOT INFALLIBLE. Tastes change. What once was not musically palatable can find its way into respectability in time. CirdecSongs will make musical mistakes. I will also do what I can to correct those mistakes when they occur. For this we ask for patience and forgiveness.
- IT READS AND REPORTS. CirdecSongs will obtain information through labels, publicists, publications, web sites, word of mouth, or any other way possible to learn about what is happening in the world of music. Information will be obtained, verified, and then passed along to those interested.
- IT MAKES THE GIG. CirdecSongs aims to become a fixture on the live music scene, specifically in the Chicago area. It will get to know the clubs and owners, the bands and their haunts in order to become one with the pulse of the scene.
- IT FOCUSES ON THE MUSIC. Music is a social activity, but the music itself is the the priority. Making friends and establishing relationships – while certainly beneficial – takes a slight back seat to the actual art.
- IT CELEBRATES THE MUSICIAN. CirdecSongs has no interest in trends or what is considered “happening,” even as patterns or scenes may be recognized and acknowledge. Music is not a beauty contest, and image (provided it does no harm) is beside the point. The musician and the music made by said musician is what matters above all else.
- IT REMAINS CREATIVE. CirdecSongs will not become set in its ways. It will endeavor to make the most out of modern technology and the ways and means that people choose to absorb music. What may not be preferred by the individual will occasionally have to be put aside for what works with most others.
I’ll be using a variety of methods and forms to get my brand out into the world. I’m not gonna list them all right now, because things happen, and plans can go sideways in a hurry. Best to tell you about things as they actually take place.
That being said, this is now a Thing. This is real. I don’t remember the last time I was this excited about a project. I’m practically giddy. And I do NOT get giddy!
Work has already begun. Keep watching this space.
Wish me luck.
Follow me on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram (cirdecsongs) My book, I Can’t Be the Only One Hearing This: A Lifetime of Music Through Eclectic Ears, is available from Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and other fine book dealers. I’m currently working on my next book, The Wizard of WOO: The Life and Music of Bernie Worrell.
Would you like to have your record reviewed? Contact me at email@example.com
Outstanding manifesto (and quite inspiring as I am going through a similar process with my own project). You are a few days/flashes ahead of me. 🙂
LikeLiked by 2 people